Posted by Roman Family Center for Decision Research on February 17, 2023
The Roman Family Center for Decision Research is accepting submissions for our Independent Research Grant program for emerging scholars. This program is supported by the generosity of former faculty director Richard Thaler in honor of Amos Tversky, and provides a limited number of small grants to support new behavioral science research led by University of Chicago PhD students and post-doctoral researchers.
- The primary motivation for these grants is to support our emerging scholars in conducting new independent behavioral science research.
- Proposals for research jointly pursued with a faculty member are not eligible for these awards, although we do hope that faculty will encourage our emerging scholars to pursue eligible research.
- Applicants are permitted to have graduate student or post-doc collaborators.
- Ideal applications will demonstrate conscientious, independent thought, and avenues to expand Roman Family Center research efforts beyond the domains being explored in our faculty members’ labs.
- We encourage new applicants who have not previously applied for this grant.
- Awardees will receive up to $3,000.
Deadline: April 1, 2023
To apply, please submit a 1-2 page proposal to Roman Family Center Executive Director Amy Boonstra (Amy.Boonstra@chicagobooth.edu) with your name, email address, home address, telephone number, year and division, your CV, and application (using the template below).
Please use this submission template as it will help to ensure that you address the following critical proposal elements:
- A research question, in the context of existing literature
- Hypothesis being tested
- Proposed method
- Budget outline
The deadline for this round of submissions is April 1, 2023. Awardees will be notified by May 16, 2023.
Each proposal will be reviewed by members of the Roman Family Center Governing Board (Nicholas Epley, Ayelet Fishbach, Devin Pope, Alex Todorov, Bernd Wittenbrink). Award decisions, which will be sent via email, will be made in time to make funds available early in the following quarter. The funds need to be used within 18 months following the award date.